Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I got married, and I rented out my house ... Made a contract

Customer Question

I got married , and I rented out my house ... Made a contract for the renters , they somewhat friends , there was a little more painting to do , but they wanted to move in . There was no first month rent , in fact we gave them 2 weeks free . Since got
separated . I told them I needed my house back , gold asap . This was a month and a half ago . Really ? I'm asking is . Is the contract still good between me and my X. Is it still valid .
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Was the lease for a specific term or time period? They signed the lease?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

The lease is valid, but you can evict them by giving them 30 day notice in writing that you are terminating the month to month lease and then if they do not leave, you would have to file a petition for eviction (unlawful detainer) in the court and serve them the suit and the court will order them to leave. The lease is still valid though even though they got two weeks free time and no first month rent.