How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 36195
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

CA Landlord/Tenant Question: A water leak in my rental

Customer Question

CA Landlord/Tenant Question:
A water leak in my rental condominium (blocked washing machine drain) has caused water damage which required the unit to be vacated during repairs....during demolition a different leak/mold from a common area pipe was found between the adjacent unit and mine.
My rental property policy is covering my drain leak and HOA is covering common area leak, but the compounded repairs will require the unit to be vacated for 2-3 weeks....what is my responsibility to my tenants during the time the property is uninhabitable?
And the kicker...our tenants failed to maintain renters insurance.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.


If the unit will be uninhabitable during the time that repairs are being made, then that would violate the implied warranty of habitability inherent in any lease. With that said, you as the landlord would be obligated to either waive any rent during that period or put them up in a hotel until the repairs are made. This is the tenant's choice as to whether to accept the rent refund/abatement or stay in a comparable hotel/motel.


But if you talk to your insurance agent, this might be something that is covered under your policy.





Related Real Estate Law Questions