RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I moved into an apt in Bolingbrook IL May 6 2015 shortly

Customer Question

I moved into an apt in Bolingbrook IL May 6 2015 shortly after moving in I have had a continuous roach problem the complex has been treating the problem but has now asked me to move because I keep complaining the problem persist they said since I complain move out or they will evict me, do I have rights I cant afford to move again so soon?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. No, they do not have a right to evict you because you complain about a roach problem and they can not retaliate against you for doing this either. You do want to review your lease agreement and make sure the landlord is responsible for this and if so, they need to cure the problem. If they try and evict you on this basis, you would have a defense to raise and the Judge would not order you to vacate. You do not have to move because of this and they need to cure the problem if it is present.