RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

My roommate currently informed me that she wants me to move

Customer Question

Hi, My roommate currently informed me that she wants me to move out as she finds us incompatible. I talked to the landlord about this and he said I only signed an application, not a lease, before moving in. Are they allowed to kick me out on a whim like this?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. So who is on the actual lease? Is she?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
apparently it's just her

Thank you. If you are not on the lease, then you would be considered a month to month tenant, if you are paying rent and the landlord has allowed you to remain. As such, if the landlord wanted you out, they would simply need to give you one months notice to vacate. If you failed to leave, they would then have to evict you. It is odd that they never had you sign a lease and just fill out an application, so you may want to review any documents you have from them, to make sure this is true.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. Thank you.