J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

On Form 1A where is the date that the listing agreement

Customer Question

Hi John on Form 1A where is the date that the listing agreement terminates? Line 20 has the list date but no reference to the end date. Thanks for your help
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to providing you information. Please note:

(1) this is general information and is not legal advice. I never propose a specific course of action. There is no attorney-client relationship or privilege that is formed when communicating to an expert on this site. The site repeats this disclaimer numerous times. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and

(2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.

Near the bottom of page one, there should be a section (boxes) titled listing input sheet "Listing" and should have two lines, one with the start date "Listing Date" and one with the end date "Expiration Date". Typically the end date is within 6 months.

All my best and encouragement,

Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated “ok” (3 stars) or higher. If for any reason you feel that a low rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" tab.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a swing and a miss
This is form 1A-SWF for the state of washington and there is no box at the bottom of the page.
section 3 (near the top of the page) is the listing date section with no mention of a term.
perplexing
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.

Ok sorry, it should be in the first paragraph where is state" ____________ ("Seller") hereby grants _________ ("Real Estate Firm"or "Firm") from the date hereof until midnigt of _____________ "(Listing Term")........ If not that is perplexing and I would be uncomfortable as a seller without an ending term for the listing.

That is strange to have that left blank, although I have seen it done before so a Realtor has grounds to argue they are entitled to a commission if the property sells. If it is not set forth in writing, the courts have determined that the term is for a "reasonable time". As you can imagine that could be argued to be a wide range. However, it typically would be 6 months. My standard advise to clients is never enter into an agreement with a Realtor for more then 6 months and if the market is hot, 3 is plenty.

I would contact the agent and let them know you need an end date or an agreed to date as without such there is ambiguity which may lead to issues down the road. Also you might want to mention that if no end date is listed, it could be considered an open listing, meaning you can go to different brokers at list the property. It just open an unnecessary bag of worms and should have an end date.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.