Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

My mother died 7 years ago leaving the home to my two

Customer Question

My mother died 7 years ago leaving the home to my two siblings and myself. I have been
living in the home for the past seven years paying the taxes bills etc. We are now in the process of trying to sell the home but since it has not been sold yet my siblings are asking me to start paying rent.Is this something that I am required to do. How would they MAKE
me start paying rent. What is my recourse?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) please wait to rate until I ask you to do so. It may take a few replies for me to be able to render an complete answer. I will let you know when I do.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me:

1) What state is this in?
2) Was probate filed for her estate once she passed, and, was it finalized and the home deed split three-way to all parties?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.