CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

I signed a lease to an apartment sight unseen. I have 5 days

Customer Question

I signed a lease to an apartment sight unseen. I have 5 days before move in and have not paid for anything yet. I found out that there are 273 registered sex offenders in the are and My sons father will not let me move to that area! What can I do and will they keep me locked into the lease ?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately you have signed a binding agreement with the landlord.

However, you can terminate the lease and likely minimize your damages. (your landlord has an obligation to try to lease your unit to another tenant).

While your liability would include rent for the remainder of your lease term, or until a new tenant takes possession, most courts will limit your liability to 2-3 months worth of rent.

You can try mediating a lease termination agreement with your landlord by contacting the local bar association where your unit is located (county bar association) and ask for referrals to landlord/tenant mediators.

Unfortunately identity of registered sex offenders are publicly available information, the landlord has not concealed anything from you, and this is not a basis to force the landlord to allow you to terminate a lease after you have already made it.