Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

We are located in the state of, My wife and i purchased a

Customer Question

Hello, we are located in the state of washington, My wife and i purchased a house just yesterday, We had sold our home and had to move into a motel until our new house closed, It finally closed yesterday and we had planned on moving in today. Last night at 5 oclock our realtors told us we could actually not move in as it did not pass occupancy, This was never disclosed to us or anyone, Only the home owner new and the realtors, . Now we are forced to stay in our motel and are completely lost as what to do??? Our lender asked for more information and nothing was disclosed to him either, We are lost as to how this can happen and it what direction to turn to.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Your right now is to demand reimbursement from the seller for their home not passing the occupancy. If the seller will not reimburse you for your expenses and pay for the repairs needed for occupancy then you have basis for a civil suit against the seller for the damages you incurred as a result of their home not passing the occupancy inspection.

You start by making a demand through your realtor to the seller. If the seller refuses to comply, then they are in breach of contract and you could sue them for the damages.