ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas
19487448

Do tenants in Hud housing have the right to form a tenants

Customer Question

Do tenants in Hud housing have the right to form a tenants association ? can the landlord stop them from doing this? This is elderly housing.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Yes. And recently, HUD published a Notice to owners and their managers highlighting the Right to Organize regulations and Management Agent Handbook requirement, and spelling out sanctions for owners that violate tenants' rights. The Notice also establishes a procedure for tenants to file complaints about violations with their local HUD office. Although in principle HUD could fine owners who violate tenants rights, to date this has never occurred, and no owner has been sanctioned under the Notice. Here's that notice: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=12-21hsgn.pdf

So in short, tenants do have the right to organize, and the landlord can face fines and sanctions who try to stop them.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

The actual regulations can be found at this page (and the subsequent regulations, which you can access by clicking the "next" button on each page): https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/24/245.100

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

Was there anything else?

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a positively AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.