Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

My daughter is renting a room in a 4 bedroom apartment at a

Customer Question

My daughter is renting a room in a 4 bedroom apartment at a University. When she moved in a week ago and there were no others assigned to the unit at the time. We understood the other rooms could be rented in the future but can the management company let someone sign a lease and move them into one of the other rooms without notifying the current lease holder? I ask because an apparent new roommate showed up trying to get into my daughter's apartment at 10pm. There was no prior communication of any sort.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney, and I look forward to answering you question to your satisfaction.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Is this a privately owned apartment or one affiliated with university housing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is on the University's campus but it is privately owned.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Does the lease provide that she is renting the entire apartment for her exclusively (giving her the right to approve roommates)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does state the management office has to give at least 24 hours notice before showing or coming into the space. They got around this by saying the roommate signed a lease so she was not obligated to give notice.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. Unfortunately, the lease agreement controls. Unless her approval is required, the landlord may lease the other bedrooms as they see fit. The good news is that your daughter should never have to be responsible if a roommate comes up short one month or moves out without notice.

She may want contact the landlord and ask that she be given a heads up wwhen a new roommate is moving in and a contact number so that the move in can be coordinated.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you still online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

if you have no further questions please remember to rate my service to you.