LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

I have a specific question about land deeds in Vermont

Customer Question

Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What question is that?

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a question specific to the state of vermont...if you sell land with a deed that says there can only be one house built on the 100 acres....can that person who bought it turn around and resell it without that on the deed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I talking to someone?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I am here. I was assisting another customer.

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

You are asking whether the agreement to only build one residence on a 100 acre lot which might bind the original buyer is binding on a person that the buyer may later sell to.

If the conditions set out in the deed as you describe would be a covenant---actually a restrictive covenant. A covenant is a form of contract.

Because the covenant runs with the land, the buyer who accepted the original deed with the restrictive covenant is not legally able to resell the property without the covenant. The covenant must be carried forward to the new buyer.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug