Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  28 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
68197583

In Georgia, what is the No Wake Zone in boating?

Customer Question

Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

The laws that govern watercraft can be found under Georgia Code Title 52.
WATERS OF THE STATE, PORTS, AND WATERCRAFT CHAPTER 7 - REGISTRATION, OPERATION, AND SALE OF WATERCRAFT
§ 52-7-18 - Rules of the road for boat traffic
(g) No vessel shall run around or within 100 feet of another vessel at a speed greater than idle speed unless such vessel is overtaking or meeting such other vessel in compliance with the rules of the road for vessel traffic.
“(h) No vessel shall be operated in such a manner as to ride or jump the wake of another vessel within 100 feet of such other vessel unless the vessel is overtaking or meeting such other vessel in compliance with the rules of the road for vessel traffic and, having passed or overtaken such other vessel, the operator of the passing or overtaking vessel shall not change or reverse course for the purpose of riding or jumping the wake of such other vessel within 100 feet of such other vessel.”

http://policy.mofcom.gov.cn/english/flaw!fetch.action?id=d5eaa051-9088-4a80-b860-6affa065d1cb

If this is in reference to a lake each municipality has their own code that is available online. The State requires 100 feet. Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service so I may receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This says nothing about No Wake Zones, this is nothing but bull about one boat overtaking another. I want something about NO WAKE ZONES in Ga. law!!

"All vessels cannot be operated over idle speed within 100 feet of any moored or anchored vessel, vessel adrift, or any wharf, pier, piling, or persons in the water, or shoreline next to a full-time or part-time residence, public park, public beach, public swimming area, marina, restaurant, or other public use area."http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/390

“100-Foot Law: Prohibits people from operating any vessel at a speed greater than idle speed within 100feet of any vessel which is moored, anchored or adrift outside normal traffic channels, or within 100 feet of any wharf, dock, pier, piling, bridge structure or abutment, person in the water, or shoreline of any residence or public use area. It is also illegal for watercraft operators to jump the wake of another vessel within 100 feet. This law has been in effect, but is still commonly violated by boat and watercraft operators on Georgia waters.” http://www.georgiawildlife.com/new-boating-regulations-2013

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any additional questions for me. Thank you for using JA!