Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Real Estate Law Mentor
26296561

My sister and I are co owners of home she has been using

Customer Question

My sister and I are co owners of home she has been using large account that our father has left to pay all expenses out of saying that they will be deducted form total and remaining will be split eequally She is in residence in the house all I am getting is the expense of the house. Can I rent out my half of the house so I have some benefit since she will not buy me out. I know about filing for partition but that is just another expense that I will incur. I feel like I am being held hostage in this situation
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has been living there and now wants to make many upgrades which she thinks we should split. Since she is working at a law firm and is friends with the attorneys there she is getting free legal services, she seems to be waiting me to file suit against her thus incurring more expenses that is why I was wondering if I could rent out a room to offset expenses that I am incurring.
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Is this a multi unit house, where a separate apartment / unit can be legally rented?