CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

We moved into a rented condo. About a month later we tried

Customer Question

We moved into a rented condo. About a month later we tried to use the oven..it heated for 10 min then went off. The owner is trying to claim we broke it. The oven is 30 yrs old. He is asking for us to pay half for a new oven and also to find someone to install it and to pay for that also. Is this legal?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this unfortunate situation. Obviously your landlord is abusing their position here (both with their claim that you damaged the appliance (rather than being based on an actual inspection by a repairman - contact an appliance store and ask them to take a look), and with their demand that you replace 1/2 of their aged oven (rather than being based on useful life)).

Unfortunately to remedy this is going to be difficult. My best advice for you is to contact a local mediator (most jurisdictions in CA have landlord/tenant mediators that can help you resolve disputes such as this relatively inexpensively - contact your local bar association for referrals.

I wouldn't hesitate to push with a mediator on this issue, given how early it is in your lease, and how aggressive your landlord is being, you are going to have to assert yourself as being aware of both your rights, and the fact that you do not intend to be pushed around.

For help with legal authorities and information, the best resource is the California Attorney General's Landlord/Tenant handbook (found here: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/index.shtml)