RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I owe the association fees and want to pay them but the law

Customer Question

I owe the association fees and want to pay them but the law firm that handles that matter are charging me triple the amount on all different charges from 1700.00 to 4066.00 what can I do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Have you ask them for a break down of the fees? I assume in addition to the association fees, there are attorney fees, late fees and other costs added in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
most of the outrages charges are interest legal fees paper work but from $1700.00 to $4066.00 can something be done to reduce these charges ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Within the law system.

Thank you for the reply and additional information. The HOA would have a right to ask for these fees and their attorney fees and costs paid. The attorney does not work for free, so they will not likely reduce or waive their fees BUT the late fees and the additional interest is something that there is discretion to waive, if a settlement can be reached. You should try and find out what the past due HOA fees are and the attorney fees and make an offer off of that, to settle. The late fees and interest they may agree to waive, to get paid off, so this does not have to go through the court and take additional time to resolve and collect on. However, legally, they have a right to get it and ask for it, as evidenced by the HOA documents and what you agreed to and acknowledged, when moving in.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!