Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

I am building a house and there is a house next door being

Customer Question

I am building a house and there is a house next door being built as well. The builder is the same for both homes. Last week the people next door had a fiberglass pool brought in and apparently needed more room to be able to install the pool. The builder removed three large trees from my property without my knowledge or consent and took away the privacy which these trees afforded. He wants to bill me for the removal of the trees. I'm upset because the trees are gone and feel he should reimburse me. What are my legal rights in this matter?
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I own the land.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
You should dispute this charge here, and consider suit for loss of trees.Certainly you did not consent to this and there has been loss of value to your lot and home.I do not think this is your responsibility and you may consider suing the builder if he does not make it right.
You never consented tot he removal and would not have done so.Buidler here in Alabama would be liable for trespass, removal without consent, and loss of value.I would respond to the builder with an email or letter and seek some amount for the loss of trees.This might devalue your lot in the amount of $10k or so.Thats seems a reasonable amount or more.You may want to get an estimate of replacement costs.
You can sue in small claims if you have to for the limits of small claims which os $3k or if it is more use a lawyer to sue for the higher amount in a higher court.
No way are you liable for these costs, you didn't consent to the removal, they owe you money here.
I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Lawyer referral here..
https://www.alabar.org/membership/lawyer-referral-service/
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
I can continue to respond to your questions here I cannot do phone calls.I sent you an offer to do so.
Thanks again for the chance to help today.I am so sorry the builder did this I know it isn't what you wanted here..