CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

I co-signed a lease granddaughters father to get an

Customer Question

I co-signed a lease for my granddaughters father to get an apartment in Tucson Az and they moved in a week ago. Michael has a class 6 felony for a drug coviction and served 6 months in county jail. The landlord called me yesterday and I met with him at his office and Jim said "if I had met Michael first I never would have rented to him, he looks ghetto. I won't have this community turned into a ghetto neighborhood. There were two people at the pool yesterday, a tall Mexican and blonde woman and I asked them who they were with and they said Michael Laing." I told him I had been at the home all day and there wasn't anyone there but I would check into it. Michael has some tattoos but dresses nice and is respectful to everyone but Jim said he was ready to pull the plug on the rental and took away the pool key because Michael lost his privileges. I don't know what to do.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this issue. Unfortunately, if your granddaughter's father is abusing his guest privileges under the lease (allowing friends to use the pool, etc.) he is going to be in violation of the lease (even if he is clean cut and not causing any problems himself).

You will want to speak with him and discuss the use of the unit, and the lease provisions. You don't want him to lose his rental, and you don't want to deal with an eviction action/civil claim yourself so that his friends can use the pool at his rental. (I understand how difficult it can be for an individual with a felony record to get housing, and he should be very much cooperative if he wants to keep his housing - it is foolish to lose it over something this simple).