Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

My husband and I own two adjacent properties. Our house is

Customer Question

My husband and I own two adjacent properties. Our house is one one and we have a garage on the other. Can we combine the two onto one deed and still keep the local and county tax bills separate?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
You can consolidate the parcels on one deed by just including both legal descriptions. The title company can then issue a legal description endorsement which would insure the that the legal description in the deed is the same as the separate legal descriptions.
For example, assuming the only difference in the descriptions is a lot number, if the current legal description for the first parcel begins Lot 5... And the other is Lot 6, your consolidated description would begin "Lots 5 and 6..."
If they have metes and bounds descriptions then you will need a surveyor to give a consolidated description.
I hope this is helpful to you.  If you have follow up questions feel free to ask.  It is never a problem.
Best regards.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?