Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I have a month to month lease and my landlord came to me

Customer Question

Hi i have a month to month lease and my landlord came to me last week to say he was raising my rent 200 dollars for the last 8 years he did not raise it, is this legal can you raise the rent for years gone by?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Thanks for asking for me. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
1. Are you living in an apartment in a rent control city where the amount of annual rent is limited by law?
Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might better suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call. Let me know if you don't want a call and I can continue here.
Thanks in advance,
Doug