Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

We have put our home in Williamsburg, MI up. A perspective

Customer Question

We have put our home in Williamsburg, MI up for sale. A perspective buyer, who has an earnest money agreement on the home set up a home inspection today from 2 to 5 PM - 3 hours. Our realtor told us the perspective buyer would accompany the inspector. After the inspection our realtor told us that the inspector was actually, the perspective buyer's brother-in-law contractor and not a certified inspector, and that Michigan does not require a certified, licensed inspector. Our main home is in Connecticut. The perspective buyer, her boyfriend, who introduced himself to our neighbor and her supposed contractor were in our house for 3 hours. They were given the lock box combination by either her realtor or my realtor. We believe this in violation of law as none of these 3 people were licensed, bonded or had the legal authority to spend 3 hours going through our home. We were not present. Please advise.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

My apologies but that is not a violation under law. There is no obligation that they be licensed or bonded. Furthermore, by allowing them to be on the premises, you gave them a license to be there (they became business invitees as they were there in a business capacity). As far as 'legal authority', unless you had no idea that they were coming, when you opened your door to them or rather in your case you gave them the lock box combination, they were free to enter. Now, you may have a cause of action against them if something is missing, damaged, or broken, but the fact that they weren't licensed is not a violation.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.