Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

I have been an owner in good standing with my condo

Customer Question

I have been an owner in good standing with my condo association for 17 years. No debts, arguments with neighbors, etc., except the new President of the HOA does not like me. I have requested to participate in a community committee and was told point blank that he did not have to put me on his, or any committee. We are a community (63 units) of retirees and volunteers and the Board constantly solicits for participants, yet when I asked to be on a committee I'm told "no". Can I be discriminated against in this fashion simply because someone does not like me?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Hi, the answer that I will provide will not be favorable so I ask that you do not blame the messenger. Legally this is not 'discrimination'. Not liking someone is not against the law, and not wishing to associate with them or use their services is also not a crime. Unless he does not like you because of you race, religion, national origin, or creed, this is permissible. If he does not like you for being you (or whatever other reason), he can refuse to associate with you or give you a position within the association.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.