How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 115464
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Last year my husband and I got a forecloser served on us, I

Customer Question

Last year my husband and I got a forecloser served on us, I got what I thought was a firm to help us, progressive law office. They took their time and now a year later our home is up for sale. I'm asking to see what we need to do to try to keep our home. If we can.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to get a LOCAL law firm, not one of these internet or mass mail marketing firms, to represent you. I am afraid that without knowing what this out of state firm did or failed to do (other than I am sure they took your money) I cannot tell you specifically what now needs to be filed, but you do need a local consumer protection attorney or real estate litigation attorney and they will have to file to stay the foreclosure first. They will then take your loan and conduct what is called a forensic loan audit to determine whether or not the creditor even followed the terms of the mortgage or even has the right to continue to foreclose.
Once you have a local attorney involved, then generally the courts will stay the foreclosure to give you time to work out a settlement and the lenders are more likely to come up with some settlement agreement that you can live with to seek to save the house.

Related Real Estate Law Questions