Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

Last year my husband and I got a forecloser served on us, I

Customer Question

Last year my husband and I got a forecloser served on us, I got what I thought was a firm to help us, progressive law office. They took their time and now a year later our home is up for sale. I'm asking to see what we need to do to try to keep our home. If we can.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to get a LOCAL law firm, not one of these internet or mass mail marketing firms, to represent you. I am afraid that without knowing what this out of state firm did or failed to do (other than I am sure they took your money) I cannot tell you specifically what now needs to be filed, but you do need a local consumer protection attorney or real estate litigation attorney and they will have to file to stay the foreclosure first. They will then take your loan and conduct what is called a forensic loan audit to determine whether or not the creditor even followed the terms of the mortgage or even has the right to continue to foreclose.
Once you have a local attorney involved, then generally the courts will stay the foreclosure to give you time to work out a settlement and the lenders are more likely to come up with some settlement agreement that you can live with to seek to save the house.