LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

Florida- I have a small condo within a small complex whose

Customer Question

Florida-
I have a small condo within a small complex whose operating budget has doubled in the last year. The fees have grown from 185.00 per month in 2011 to more than $350.00 per month last year. Is there a statutory limit on the amount association fees can rise? Or is the sky the limit?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Let me begin by saying that I empathize with your frustration over what is happening in your association.
You have pointed out one of the many unforeseen drawbacks to buying a residence that is within an association of some type or another. With all associations, there is a lack of individual control over the finances related to the management and upkeep of your association property, as well as the loss of many individual freedoms that non-association property owners enjoy.
The Florida condo code does not, in any form or fashion, limit either the amount of fees/assessments which may be charged an owner, or the personal rights which may be impinged on by the association Board in their control over the association.
To respond to your question succinctly, there are, unfortunately, no limitations on the amount of association fees that may be collected by a given association, nor are there any limitations regarding the level of increase that may be applied to an existing fee.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug