CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

I am being assecced $64,000. by my HOA to our community

Customer Question

I am being assecced $64,000. by my HOA for repairs to our community buildings, I had a estimate made of my Rowhouse repairs and it was $9,000. What is happening is we are subsidizing the repairs for the larger buildings in the complex, do I have any legal rights to fight this? I am retired. Thank you, MLuzinski
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, this is part of being a member of a Common Interest Development (CID or HOA). You share costs for common interest repairs and fixtures (even if your separate interest doesn't directly benefit from them).

You can review your CC&Rs (or governing documents) and see if there is a clause that exempts your separate interests from paying for the larger structure maintenance (some HOAs do split maintenance costs like this), but unless there is an express waiver for your units from paying these fees, you are going to be responsible for paying your pro-rata share of these fees.