Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I purchased a property in Texas which shows the property

Customer Question

I purchased a property in Texas which shows the property taxes paid covers land adjacent to the actual property which the HOA says is common area. Unfortunately the title paperwork is not clear on this point. Taxes have been paid on this small parcel of land for years.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am very sorry to hear about this situation. I am afraid I do not have an immediate solution for you, although I do have the path where this would be resolved.
This is not uncommon in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, and a other states. In such situations, what a party that is affected by such a matter wants to do is to file a Petition to Quiet Title in Court. This petition essentially asks the Court to "quiet" the matter when it comes to competing claims of interest to land, easement disputes, tax liabilities for land, and other such situation pertaining to land.
Unless the parties come to some kind of an agreement, the Court will rule, and it will rule based on the facts as well as equity (fairness). I am afraid that this is a case by case basis, and there is no way really to know how the Court will rule.
Such suits involve HOA v. owner, owner v. owner, multiple owners v. HOA, claimants v. owner(s) v. HOA, and basically any other combination - it all falls under the umbrella Petition to Quiet Title.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.