Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

Location: Stone Mountain, GA My parents are married (48

Customer Question

Location: Stone Mountain, GA
My parents are married (48 years) but only my father was named on the deed and the reverse mortgage. My father is terminally ill. We want to add my mother's name to the property deed to allow her to remain at property upon my father's death. So far we've filed a Quit Claim Deed to add her name to the deed however the action appears to have transferred the right, title, and interest to her. What do we need to submit to ensure that she stays in property after he dies?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to contact the mortgage company and notify them that her name is ***** ***** deed and you need to have her added to the mortgage as well. If not, then by the terms of the reverse mortgage they retain the lien against the property, even if he has transferred the property and could seek to foreclose. What you really should do is engage a local elder law attorney to represent your father and mother to negotiate getting her on the reverse mortgage if the mortgage company refuses when you contact them and they could also work to try to protect their other assets as well to protect your mother.