Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My mother, who recently passed away, signed a deed over over

Customer Question

My mother, who recently passed away, signed a deed over over to a lake front property she owned to my sister 16 years ago for $10.00. The property tax value is worth around $310,000.00 I believe my mother did this in order to avoid paying an inheritance tax. However, the power bill was still in her name. Does that mean my mother still owned a portion of the property since the utility bills were still in her name? My mother may have paid some of the taxes on the property also.
There is also a boat, and seadoo in the boat house which were in my mothers name. Is this part of the estate or does this belong to my sister. There are also other items in the house which do not belong to my sister, and would like to know if I have rights to claim those items.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Does that mean my mother still owned a portion of the property since the utility bills were still in her name?

.

No, the utility bills don't have anything to do with the ownership of the property. That is determined by the deed exclusively.

.

As for the personal property, the deed only covers the real estate and items permanently attached to the land. So any personal property like the boat, seadoo, and any items in the house that aren't sisters are mother's personal property and would be included in her estate. That means that they would descend either according to her will or under default state law if she had no will.

.

.

thanks