Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

I did something stupid. I bought property but allowed

Customer Question

I did something stupid. I bought property but allowed boyfriend to be put on deed. Now just a few months later he left . he paid nothing on land or improvements. Do I have a legal recourse except buying him out. I sunk all my savings Inot this and have no money to buy him out especially at what he says is the improved land is worth
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am genuinely sorry that you find yourself in this situation. The answer that I will provide you with will not be favorable, so I ask that you do not blame the messenger. Once someone is listed on the deed, even if they put down zero, they are entitled to a proportionate share. The only way to remove him is either with consent (since this was not a mistake as far as intent when he was placed there), or with a buy out. But you cannot claim full rights even if you bought and paid for everything, he is still entitled to his share.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is he entitled to half what the land cost or half of what it's valued at with improvements

He is entitled to half of the actual value, not the land value. And please keep in mind that he may refuse to be bought out--he can refuse to be removed from title outright.

Sincerely,

Dimtiry, Esq.