Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I own a hair salon business of which the lease expired 7/31.

Customer Question

I own a hair salon business of which the lease expired 7/31. We were told that we could pay monthly rent until our negotiations are complete with the person buying our business. They have run a credit check on the new occupant but have not signed a new lease. Now they are pressuring me to either sign another 5 year lease or they will move ahead with the potential buyer. Because we did pay rent for the month of August, is the original lease still in force?
Thank you
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Unfortunately, unless you have a lease amendment in writing to extend the lease, it expired according to its terms and your tenancy is now month to month.
I hope this is helpful to you. If you have follow up questions feel free to ask. It is never a problem.
Best regards.