Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

My landlord is interrupting my utilities what can I do?

Customer Question

Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Can you share with me a little more about what is going on?

Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If the utilities are deemed a necessity, such as water, natural gas, oil, or electricity, even as a basis for an eviction from a residential lease, the landlord is barred from turning them off. That is considered to be 'self-help' and the state law bars such action. Utilities such as phone service or internet are not considered to be necessities and the landlord can remove them if the tenant is no longer paying toward them via their mutual agreement. The tenant can file suit in landlord/tenant court for violations if the landlord has no basis for terminating utilities. Please notice that this answer only applies for residential leases, for commercial leases a landlord generally has no freedom and flexibility in terminating utilities due to non-payment.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.