Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

As a condo homeowner in Maryland, are HOAs required to tell

Customer Question

As a condo homeowner in Maryland, are HOAs required to tell me what our community's delinquency rate is as defined by FHA?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
The Maryland HOA statute requires that the board make available to owners all records that aren't otherwise protected, which includes financial statements and minutes of meetings. If the financial records show delinquent homeowners, yes, they need to give that to you. Maryland Real Prop. Code, Section 112-2. They have 21 days to respond to a written request for information.
Protected records include personal financial information about any owner (like assets or net worth) or communications from the association's lawyer. The information you're talking about shouldn't fall within any of the protected categories. Now, if they don't specifically HAVE a document with delinquency rates on it, they don't have to create one. But they have to let you see financial statements, which should let you figure it out for yourself.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey your service looks like what I need.I just got your response -- spot on!!! Just what I wanted. Fantastic!How do I learn how best to use your service?I have a 1-page document that I'd like to give to my neighbors about delinquency impacts that I'd like you to review:
See any illegal content?
Any inaccurate content?
And, especially, what do you think of the idea?I see phone call option! Tell me more about that.Thanks, Bill [not a lawyer!]
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I apologize, but I am not able to call you. Live phone calls in the legal categories, unlike in other sections of JustAnswer, are considered the practice of law, which is forbidden by state laws. I am unfortunately not able to call you, but I am happy to continue with you in this forum.
I'm also not able to review documents - that requires someone who is licensed in your state. I'm only allowed to tell you what the law is and how it could apply to a given set of facts. If you can open another question requesting document review, another expert may be able to help.
If you have a lot of questions, you may want to talk to customer service about setting up a subscription. That way, there's one monthly rate instead of a per question charge.