RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

Im currently a tenant have been a tenant same studio apt

Customer Question

im currently a tenant have been a tenant same studio apt since 2009 but received a letter that my lease will be terminated September 8,2015. the building was sold last year 2014 to the new owner since then I did not have a new lease after May 2014. initially, the new landlord was offering to help me find a new place but did not do so.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation. Can you please share with me what your concern and question is? When did you receive this letter?

Just wanted to follow up and see if you had a chance to respond?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received the letter 8/09/2015 dated 08/05. Do I have any rights to stay in the apt or at least assist me to find a new apt?

Thank you for the additional information. Once your lease expired and a new lease was not offered, you became a month to month tenant. As such, either party could terminate the rental agreement with at least 30 days / 1 months notice. In this case, there is nothing illegal if you were asked to vacate by September 8th. The landlord would not be legally obligated to help you find a new place but if they will, that is very nice of them since they do not have to do it. The only problem I see, would be in your rent is paid on the 1st of every month. The notice would have to be prior to the 1st and tell you to vacate at the end of the month, before the 1st. It seems odd you were told to vacate by the 8th, since most rental start on the 1st or 15th

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!