Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Is there any law telling how close you can plant trees to a

Customer Question

is there any law telling how close you can plant trees to a property line that you share with your neighbor.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

.

No, there is no state law regarding how close to the property line the owner can plant trees on their own property. The owner of the property can plant them right up to the line as long as they don't cross the vertical plane of the property line onto the neighbor's property.

.

However, as the trees grow, if the limbs and roots enter the neighbor's property, this is legally a trespass to property and if they are causing problems, the neighbor could file suit for "private nuisance" and seek to hold the tree owner for any damages that the trees cause to their property.

.

.

thanks