RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I live in Miami FL MY cousin leases a house I live in the

Customer Question

I live in Miami FL MY cousin leases a house I live in the efficiency in the back of the house we have a verbal agreement with the rent{I pay cash} and after three year of renting and never missing or being late with the rent the landlord shows up out of the blue and want to raise the rent by and unknown prize am I protected by my cousin lease? can I refuse the increase and not sign a contract? and still pay my rent and not get eviction?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I understand your cousin leases the house but who was your monthly rent paid to? Was it the landlord or your cousin? I assume the landlord knew you lived back there and has allowed it over these years, even though you are not on the lease?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can just keep paying my rent even if the land lord send a letter of rent increase?or I will be facing eviction?

Without any type of lease agreement, the landlord does have a legal right to increase the rent, upon giving you proper notice or else they can evict you, if you refuse to pay and do not want to move. If you had a lease with the landlord, then it would protect you and not allow a rent increase, unless there was language stated within allowing it or until the lease term ended In this case, as a month to month tenant, the landlord can do this, even though you have been a perfect tenant. There is nothing illegal with what he is doing. Now, if the lease your cousin has includes the home which you rent and the lease is still in effect, the landlord can not come back now and charge more money in addition to the rent, since your cousin agreed to pay X, to include that efficiency.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!