Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

I have been with a man .5 years. We share insurance on our

Customer Question

I have been with a man for 2.5 years. We share insurance on our cars and bikes but the two homes I bought in my name. Along with the car and jeep. We are not married but live together. Can he legally take half of everything or my two houses and car and jeep? We also share a joint checking account and a credit card. One house is in Florida and the other is in ND where we live. Can he take any of this?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you this morning.

North Dakota does not recognize common law marriage so you don't have to worry about him making a claim that you are married and that these assets are marital assets. Since you are not married and you purchased these assets in your own name with your money, these assets are your sole and separate property. They remain your sole and separate property as long as you keep them titled in your own name. He does not become entitled to any ownership of these assets simply because you happen to live together.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He says he can have half because his money goes into our joint account. The house in Florida I used my 401 for the down payment. But what are the laws in Florida?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

He can 1/2 o the joint account, but that doesn't give him any ownership rights for the house or the autos! Those are titled in your name and belong to you as your sole and separate property.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great. Thank you
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome. And, thank you again for the excellent rating and awesome bonus! You are very kind!!