CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

I've been renting this commercial building 10 years. The

Customer Question

I've been renting this commercial building for over 10 years. The first owner's contract said after 5 years they cannot go up over $50. The new owner went up $50 when the lease was up and now the lease is up again and they hired a property manager and they want to go up $100. Can they do that?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Generally a lease agreement does not create a cap on rent increases in perpetuity.

However, some commercial leases do limit rent increases for very long periods of time. If your lease agreement does limit rent increases to $50.00 every 5 years (and the lease language is clear and unambiguous), then the clause would be enforceable and you the new owner cannot raise your rent by the additional amount.