Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I co-signed an apartment lease with my 21 year-old son. My

Customer Question

I co-signed an apartment lease with my 21 year-old son. My son is mentally handicapped. As things deteriorated between him and his landlord, he copied me with the complaints he filed and with the landlord and with the code enforcement agency in the town where he lived. He says that he was never noticed with any contemplated action by the landlord. I have received a copy of a judgment against him with a demand for almost $1,700.00 in fees. I live 3hours away from the town where the judgment was filed, and my son is out of the state. What can I do to avoid paying this demand and avoiding negatie reports.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
I am sorry to hear about what you are dealing with. Just to be clear, these is a judgment, ordered by the court? Are you a named party in the lawsuit or just your son? They never served him with a summons/complaint?Also, after you disputed the damages, you heard nothing?