Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

My boyfriend and I have rented a house together. Last week

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I have rented a house together. Last week when I got home he had changed the locks on the home. He put my stuff outside on the driveway and in a trailer. He would not allow me to drive my vehicle that we purchased jointly. I emailed the lNird and asked her to help me regain access to the house. The landlord ignored me and never responded. What should I do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your relationship took such a bad turn. Your landlord has no legal duty to intervene with your co-tenant. Since this occurred a week ago, I presume that you have relocated and no longer need to go back to the prior rental. You can sue the ex-BF in small claims court for the cost of your move and any other damages you may have sustained because of a wrongful eviction. Unfortunately, you cannot get your name off of the lease, or any car finance contract. You have to hope that he makes the payments on time.