How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7236
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend and I have rented a house together. Last week

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I have rented a house together. Last week when I got home he had changed the locks on the home. He put my stuff outside on the driveway and in a trailer. He would not allow me to drive my vehicle that we purchased jointly. I emailed the lNird and asked her to help me regain access to the house. The landlord ignored me and never responded. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your relationship took such a bad turn. Your landlord has no legal duty to intervene with your co-tenant. Since this occurred a week ago, I presume that you have relocated and no longer need to go back to the prior rental. You can sue the ex-BF in small claims court for the cost of your move and any other damages you may have sustained because of a wrongful eviction. Unfortunately, you cannot get your name off of the lease, or any car finance contract. You have to hope that he makes the payments on time.