CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

I live in Texas an own one-half of a duplex property. The

Customer Question

I live in Texas an own one-half of a duplex property. The owner of the other half of the building has made foundation repairs that have subsequently caused major damage to my half ot the building. What right do I have to hold their person and the company that made the repairs accountable.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Both the owner, and their contractor are liable to you for the damages.

To make things easier for you, you can simply sue the owner and allow them to name their contractor as a cross-defendant.

I would recommend hiring an attorney for this type of action, you are going to need to manage not only the civil procedure side of this, but also construction experts and expert witness testimony, all of which can get a little complex very quickly (the goal is to resolve it quickly, the more prepared you are up front, the more likely you are to reach a resolution quickly - filing "pro per" by yourself may seem cheaper up front but likely will end up costing you more later on - and can potentially risk your case).

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).

________________________________