Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I signed a lease this morning, I haven't paid yet, and

Customer Question

I signed a lease this morning, I haven't paid yet, and someone else is my co-signer. Is it possible to get out of the lease in NYC
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

From a purely legal perspective, the lease is a legally binding contract as soon as you sign it and it could be enforced by the landlord if you were to break it. But realistically, if you haven't paid anything or taken possession, it is kind of unlikely that the landlord would pursue you by suing you in court if you were to immediately notify them that you are breaking the lease for a good reason...like you can't come up with the money. A landlord would rather have you break a lease before you get in than get in and then have to evict you.

.

.

thanks