KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.
8989662

My current landlord is trying to evict me of July's rent. I

Customer Question

My current landlord is trying to evict me for nonpayment of July's rent.
I have the money order receipts from every month I've lived here since May 2014. I have receipts from the landlord up until May of this year when I started putting rent in the 'secure' lock box and went month to month instead of signing a new lease.
I was told further collection activity would be halted on July until I received the documentation from Western Union saying who cashed the money order on July 6th. I told them Western Union stated it could take 30 days and this request was put in on the 14th of July, one day after I received the Notice to Quit.
I come home today to a notice that I'm being taken to court on the 13th of this month for eviction proceedings.
This all comes after I filed a police report on the 29th of June and told them I wanted my locks changed free of charge at this point, because someone broke into my apartment and let my dog out of her cage, into the street.
From everything I've read, this is landlord harassment. What are my options for recourse here?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am happy to help you out with your question.
Sorry about your situation. It sounds like your landlord is not great at all, to say the least.
You are entitled to live in a secure place, and you are not obligated to pay rent if the landlord is substantially violating his responsibilities.
It is actually good that you are scheduled for a hearing on the 13th because that is your opportunity to tell the judge what is happening. It saves you the trouble of filing the case. Go in with all the info you have, and especially anything in writing like proof of your past payments, the lock box, etc, and tell the judge the situation. You will be fine. The judge doesn't want to see you going through this, and he or she will want to make sure that the landlord isn't taking advantage of you.
You don't need a lawyer to go in with you, although if you can afford one, it doesn't hurt.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Kim
I see that you received my answer and wanted to let you know that I am online now. If you have any follow up questions please let me know.
If not please close out the question, so that I get credit for my work with you yesterday.
Take care,
Kim
Hello again,
Just checking in to see if we can close out this question. Without you closing it and giving positive feedback I don't get paid for my work with you.
Take care,
Kim
Thanks for using Just Answer.
If you don't close our your question then the system will keep your money and I will not get paid for my time working with you.
Thanks so much and take care,
Kim