Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I'm in Hawaii and currently I am in a lease until end Nov. A

Customer Question

I'm in Hawaii and currently I am in a lease until end Nov. A realtor called and said the owner was putting the house we are living in up for sale and they need to do open houses. There is NOTHING in our lease that says we have to do open houses or anything to "help" sell this house. The schedule for the open houses will be Sun, Wed, Sun two weeks out of the month. The realtor said he only needs a month to sell this house which is crazy. It's been on the market for much longer before and they actually rented it to us because they needed to cover the mortgage. No one ever told us that while we were living here they would put the house back on the market. So then I asked for compensation, meaning if I have to be gone from my house 6 days out of this month and I have to keep my house clean and spotless.... the owners said no, no compensation, I need some help here. I want to say no to the open houses, they can wait until we move to sell. I must have some rights as a tenant.
Thank you!!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, andI look forward to helping you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Hawaii statutes require the landlord give 2 days notice to access the premises for, among other things, to show the proprty to potential purchasers.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

There is nothing in the statute which says you have to keep the premises spotless. So you may want to tell thelandlord thatthey are free to provide a cleaning service for when they want to have an open house.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know that. It's the open houses. I can let these people in my house for hours 6 days a month? What are my rights as the tenant.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

You do not have to leave, but you do have to allow access to show the property to potential purchasers