Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

I live in the state of NC. I'm on a fixed end lease stating

Customer Question

I live in the state of NC. I'm on a fixed end lease stating that the lease is for 12months but the day on the lease is actually 13months. By law am I required to pay for that 13th month even though the lease states that it is a 12 month lease.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

You are only required to pay for the length of time you are on the premises as per your contract. If the lease is for 12 months then you pay for 12 months. If your lease is for 12 months, but you are on premises for 13 months, you pay for 13 months as that is the amount of time you are on the premises. If this is a typo or an error the courts would generally fix it to mean what is reasonable based on the intent of the parties if the intent can be figured out.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.