ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas
19487448

What the best way to add a name to a deed

Customer Question

what the best way to add a name to a deed
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

It's incorrect to say that you can "add" your name to a deed. That's an ancient term that was used a long time ago when a physical piece of paper actually was passed around indicating ownership. These days a new deed is executed and signed by the owners of the property that would have the name "added" to it.

The "best" way would be a warranty deed, although a quitclaim deed would also work. Here's a link to a quitclaim deed: http://www.uslegalforms.com/mi/MI-02-78.htm

The "grantor" of the property would be the current owner, and the "grantee" would be the current owner AND the person to be added. As a 100% owner is transferring equally to himself and someone else, each person would own 50% (or if there were multiple people "added", each person would own an equal percentage).

After the deed is signed and notarized, the grantee can record it in the county deed records.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!