Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I JUST REFINANCED A APARTMENT HOUSE IN QUEENS NY THE TITLED

Customer Question

i JUST REFINANCED A APARTMENT HOUSE IN QUEENS NY THE TITLED CO TOOK ESCROW FOR JUDGEMENTS WRITTEN TO A PREVIOUS OWNER IN 1989 AND 1992. DONT JUDGEMENTS FROM THE CITY EVER EXPIRE? WILL A FORECLOSURE WIPE OUT THE JUDGEMENT? THE DOCUMENTATION SAYS NO MONEY OWED AND WRITTEN OFF
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is a 20 year statute of limitations on enforcement of judgments in NY and the judgment creditor can file to extend the judgment for another 20 years. So, you need to find out if they renewed the judgment and if the judgments were not renewed, then they are invalid and should not be paid and the escrow company should return your money.