RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

My husband and I signed a lease with a private landlord and

Customer Question

My husband and I signed a lease with a private landlord and it was not disclosed or told to us that he would not be involved with the rental a managing company would be managing the house. If we knew this we would never had signed the lease.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Would you mind sharing with me if there is an issue or problem? Did he decide this after the fact?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has a management team that takes care of his apartment buildings. We were renting his private home so we were told. The lease we signed has his name on it not his management teams name.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had a lot of problems with the house and his management team will not put us in contact with him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We want out of the lease
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Thank you for the additional information. If there are problems with the rental which are not being cured and which is effecting the habitability of the rental and your right to quiet enjoyment and other issues, then you could have grounds to get out of the lease, if the landlord was in breach. If the landlords name is ***** ***** lease, the contract is with him and you and your husband. However, he can have a third party management company handling the property and any issues but at the end of the day, if they are not taking care of it, it falls back on him. I understand you wanted to deal directly with the owner but unless there was something in the lease which promised that, he is doing nothing illegal which would allow you to break the lease, just because a company is handling it. Like I shared, if they are failing to fix a problem, that is a different story and if you want to vacate, would and need to document it in writing, send it to them,give them a reasonable chance to fix the problem and if you still can not live there, could have grounds to vacate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The manager said it is best for us to move from the property because we want to much fixed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are they breaking the lease

Would you min sharing with me what you want and need fixed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Air conditioner our bill was 1,000 for June and 1,000 for July. Mold mice...we thought we were Renting a high end house. Our rent was $5200 a minth
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Elevator in the house was last serviced in 2003
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The list goes on and on..,

Thank you. First, it is always best to refer to the lease, to see what obligations you may have. In this case, is there is an issue with mold mice and you have to take care of pest control, you may have to pay for that. If there were mold issues, that would be on the landlord. If the electric bill is $1000, that does seem high, so you want to make sure the unit is working properly. The electric company should be able to give you a break down of the consumption, so you can see where the main problem is. Now, the elevator needs to be in compliance with county law, so if it needs to be services, that must comply. Also, the things need to make the house uninhabitable. If the elevator works fine and you just want it services, they might not be obligation to do so and it could not be an issue. However, pest control, mold and other issues could give rise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well the management saying is best for us to move out..is that not breaking the lease?

Well, if they are suggesting that and you agree, you just want to make sure that when you leave on the agreed upon date, that they will not go after you for breaking the lease and claim you owed them X amount in damages

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess renters really have no rights!
Thank you

You do have rights and the landlord needs to comply with the law. The management can not just say you want too many things fixed and just not do it, if they are legally responsible for them.