RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

If a tenant can not afford the rent on an apartment and has

Customer Question

If a tenant can not afford the rent on an apartment and has signed a lease for that apartment for one year can anything be done. He really needs to move to a less expensive apartment at the same complex.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Have they spoken with the landlord/management about this yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they said since he had signed a one year contract, the only change he could make was to upgrade And then stated that due to the "fair housing law"', they were unable to let him move to a less expensive apartment.

The fair housing law protects someone against discrimination, so I am unsure what they are referring to, when they say they can only upgrade a tenant, not downgrade them. It sounds as though they are trying to up sell the tenant and make excuses. The landlord/management can end the lease if they wanted to and place the tenant in another property. Another option would be for the tenant to ask to pay a fee to break the lease and move out or to find another tenant to sublease from them. The lease is binding, so even though they can not afford to stay and pay the rent, the obligation is still there.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!