WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

Bart. My issue is similar to the one on your site. I

Customer Question

Hi Bart.
My issue is similar to the one on your site. I recently made a very costly error regarding window replacements in my townhome in Missouri City, TX. This complex has 86 units that were built in 1975 (4o years ago). Out of 86 units, 20 have been updated (double pane sash) and replaced with white vinyl. Of the 20, 6 have grids and the remaining 14 are gridless. The original windows are single panes within the aluminum grid structure.
People have started remodeling their homes and, to the best of my knowledge, most have done so without saying a word to the Board. All of the units that have been upgraded have clearly added beauty to the neighborhood.
I realize that I am at fault for not going to the Board and asking permission. I will admit that I received a newsletter a few months back saying that we had to send a picture of the window and that it had to be in the same style as the existing window. Truthfully, it never occurred that it meant that I had to have grids. As I said, these windows are 40 years old. I got so caught up in the process that I made the purchase (13 windows, more than any other unit in this complex). Point is, I understand that I am fault.
I am now being told that I can't install them.
If I put them, what is their recourse against me?
Thanks for any guidance.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have pictures of all 20 units whose windows have been replaced. How is it legal that they can insist that I have grids?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, what records is the Board required to share with the homeowners? And, is it legal for the Board/Mgmt co to turn off a homeowner's water if it impacts the rest of the residents in that building?
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

They may be able to prevent you from installing the windows if they look very different from the others and affect the overall apperance of your complex as a whole.

However, there is a simple solution, which is you can get removable grids for the windows, so go ahead and install yours and get the removable grids (they are made to come off so that you can easily clean the windows and snap on and off the windows) and then nobody can object that your windows do not match.

Please rate the answer 4 or 5 and close out the question. Thanks and good luck to you.