N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

What do I do with a summons that has no court date listed.

Customer Question

What do I do with a summons that has no court date for appearance listed. The summons reads:- You are hereby summons to answer the verified complaint in this action and to serve a copy of your answer on the plaintiff's attorney within 20 days after the service of this summons, exclusive of the day of service or within 30 days after service is complete if this summons is not personally delivered to you within the state of New York, and in case of your failure to appear or answer, judgement will be taken against you by default in the amount set forth in the complaint together with the costs of this action.
The Plaintiff designates Queens County as the place of trial. The basis of venue is the location of the property as issue, to wit Queens County, New York.
The nature of this action is for partition of real property and unjust enrichment.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.
The Summons never states a court date. You have to file either an answer or a responsive pleading and serve it on the opposing attorney before the time stated on the Summons. If you do not do that, the other side will win the case by default, so this requires your immediate attention.
You can get a free consultation from some of the local real estate attorneys listed at
http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/real-estate-law/Queens/New-York
Please follow up on this with a local attorney.
I hope this information is helpful.