Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I just bought a condo in Wappingers Falls, NY. On a

Customer Question

I just bought a condo in Wappingers Falls, NY.
On a misunderstanding of a rule that no sheds should be allowed in our patio. I was fined $500 by the board of our condo. Actually I have a storage bench. They said it considered as a shed.
There are many other questions I have. For instance, if I open my window during the winter just to freshen my unit. I will be charged $500.
Is this appropriate?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Is this appropriate?

Response: Yes, if it is in the Condo Rules. The Condo Associations are authorized by Statutes to make their own Rules. This is why it is critical for any purchaser of a Condo Unit to carefully review the Condo documents before purchasing a Condo, unfortunately.